It’s an old saying, “If you really want to explore a destination, its people, and culture, then do taste the local delicacies of that place”. This saying is 100% true when it comes to visiting different regions of India that are famous for distinctive, authentic, and savory cuisines that you cannot say no to.
One of the best places to try local cuisine is none other than scenic Uttarakhand. This hillside state that covers some of the astonishing mountains, rivers, treks, ancient pilgrimages, local villages, and other attractive places is also famous for its Kumaoni and Garhwali delicacies. People traveling to this place definitely try the Local Dishes of Uttarakhand to know more about the place, people, taste buds, and evolving culture.
8 best local dishes of Uttarakhand that must try
1. Baadi: It is simple to prefer and one of the best local delights of Uttarakhand consumed by the natives and you will like it too. Baadi is the rich mixture of pure ghee, water, Kwada ka atta, potato, soya, and several other spices inside. Best to pair up with chapatti, salad, and the famous Kumaoni Raita (full of mild spices, curd, and cucumber). You must try baadi at one of the best restaurants near Nainital or any place where local delicacies are served.
2. Bhang ki Chutney: Do not just go by the name Bhang and feel intoxicated after tasting this chutney. Rather it is a flavorful side dish with your main cuisine that consists of bhang seeds, hemp seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies, lemon, and tamarin. A bit tangy in taste, bhang ki chutney is a must-have addition to the daily meals of the local people of Uttarakhand and you cannot afford to miss it with your lunch or dinner.
3. Kafuli: Better referred to as the best pahari (mountain region) dish that consists of several mouth-watering and highly nutritious green vegetables. Specifically prepared by covering integral ingredients like spinach, fenugreek leaves, spices, rice powder, curd, water, and salt inside. It is a unique and lip-smacking dish that you must pair up with chapati.
4. Aloo Gutke: Add the necessary carbohydrate to your diet and that too in the flavourful Uttarakhand style pattern. Do try the spicy and mouth-watering Aloo Gutke which is a mesmerizing dish full of boiled potato, onions, coriander, and red chilies. All the ingredients are cooked well to form a semi-dry dish.
5. Aloo Tamatar Ka Jhol: Again for all the potato lovers, once more local delicacies of Uttarakhand includes the famous aloo tamatar ka jhol. It is a curry form of dish comprising boiled potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and rich spices inside. Again a semi-liquid form of the dish is best to savor during lunchtime with your protein-rich Kumaoni dal, rice, and chapati.
6. Phaanu: Talking about the lentils dish served in every single region of Uttarakhand, you will not be able to ignore the rich delight of Phaanu. It is a mix of different varieties of authentic lentils, spices, onions, oil, turmeric, and water inside. Another must-try and one of the popular dishes of Uttarakhand can be paired up with boiled white rice.
7. Singori: Now, an authentic Uttarakhand specialty meal is incomplete without adding the local sweet delight. So, here is the famous singori sweet which is also known as singodi is a mid-sweet delight full of well-cooked khoya and packed inside the leaf. A high source of protein and carbohydrates must be part of your local Uttarakhand cuisine delight.
8. Jhangora ki Kheer: Another local sweet dish of the famous hill station state in India covers Jhangora ki kheer. It is a mixture of milk, millets, and sugar that is cooked well to form a thick and creamy sweet dish and is best garnished with dry fruits. Must try sweet dish in a cold state, Jhangora ki kheer is an authentic Garhwali sweet dish.
There are many places to explore in Uttarakhand to bring peace and tranquility to your mind. Similarly, there are different flavors of Uttarakhand that you must try on every single visit to this mesmerizing hill place. For your next trip, do not forget to include the best places to eat in Uttarakhand that must serve the local and delectable delicacies.
Follow our Instagram for more updates.