Shimla is a famous capital hill city of Himachal Pradesh that still remains an evergreen holiday destination for its gifted natural beauty. Tourists love exploring this enchanting hill station for its snowfall in winter & many popular attractions that make it worth visiting. Owing to its popularity, some couples even plan a destination wedding in Shimla amidst its serene natural wonders. When it comes to Shimla tourism, we often overlook the hidden gems near Shimla, that we aren’t much familiar with or aware of. Visiting the top places in this hilly paradise indeed makes your journey fulfilling, still, one must not be ignorant in exploring the least known places.
With the onset of winter, many people would love to travel to Shimla to experience its snowfall, & also to welcome the New Year by the end of December. Many hotels & resorts during this month are booked for people planning a luxury staycation with their partners. Shimla is not only a place confined to only a handful of travel spots known by everyone, but to gain a new experience exploring the unexplored. Join us in this blog as we bring you a compiled list of those spots that should be added to your Shimla itinerary list when planning your next vacation to this popular hill station.
Exploring the lesser-known hidden gems near Shimla
While some places to visit in Shimla bind the interest of its travellers, prompting them to revisit, some hidden gems are demanding your attention. Let’s list those places with a brief overview.
- Mashobra – Mashobra is worth visiting for its scenic natural beauty, fruit orchards, waterfall, babbling streams, lush oak forests, & mist-bathed hills.
- Naldehra – This place is 25 km from Shimla & is famous for its high-altitude golf course with 18 holes.
- Fagu – It is one of the best places near Shimla to explore for its snow-clad peaks, pristine atmosphere, majestic view of Himalayan ranges, apple orchards, and pine & cedar trees.
- Pabbar Valley – This least-known hidden gem is an ideal retreat for wildlife lovers & adventure enthusiasts. It is best for fishing & exploring historic temples.
- Chail – A must-visit place to explore wildlife for spotting animals, including wild boars, crested porcupines, leopards, rhesus macaques, & Himalayan black bears.
- Matiana – This wonderful place is famous for its wide variety of flora & fauna, snow-capped peaks, apple orchards, & peaceful outdoor walks.
- Narkanda – Other than most-visited tourist spots in Shimla, Narkanda is a fantastic spot for its tranquil ambience, greenery, apple orchards, trekking, skiing, & enjoying snowfall.
- Shoja – Tucked away from bustling city life, this small heaven is best for trekking & photography. An ideal place for a family vacation.
- Sirmaur – One of the hidden gems near Shimla, this place is a must-visit to observe the rural lifestyle of people here. The simplicity & originality of this place will win your heart.
- Cheong – Lying high above sea level, this place can be easily reached from Shimla via hired taxis. It is best in its soothing natural views & stunning landscapes.
- Karsog – Karsog is a beautiful tourist spot that will draw your attention to the majestic beauty of the Himalayan range & apple orchards.
- Tirthan Valley – The name of this place has been derived from the pristine Tirthan River. This is a fantastic hotspot for adventure seekers & for admiring its natural scenic beauty.
- Theog – This place is an ideal tourist spot near Shimla to visit in February when it is covered with snow. A fantastic location for peace lovers.
- Kotkhai – Kotkhai is a beautiful destination to visit with your friends or family. It is famous for its traditional fairs, customs, & game called Thotha (bow & arrow).
- Kanatal – Visit this place to admire natural vegetation, & adventure sports like skiing, rock climbing, forest trekking, jungle safari, & praying at Sukandari Devi Temple.
Adventure activities to explore in Shimla during Vacation
After getting a brief overview of the hidden gems, here is the list of top activities to do in Shimla.
- Mountain cycling
- Rock climbing
- Ice skating
- River rafting
Popular cuisines to taste in Shimla
Limiting your exploration to fascinating sites will not make your journey complete unless you try tasting the popular delicious foods of Shimla, which are:
- Chha Gosht
- Chicken Anardana
Best Time and Season to Visit Shimla
If you wish to visit Shimla in summer, May to June are the ideal months, as this is the right time to experience romance with clear blue skies. If you opt for winter, December to January is appropriate. In either season, you will end up weaving beautiful memories in this wonderful capital hill city of Himachal.
How to Reach Shimla by Road, Train And Air
- By road: You won’t face any travelling issues, as Shimla is well-connected with major cities of Northern India via roadway route. It hardly takes 8 hrs to reach the hill city from New Delhi covering the distance at 325 km.
- By train: Kalka Railway Station (KLK) is the nearest railway junction. It is 96 km from Shimla, & connected to major Indian cities. Regular trains are plying from New Delhi & Chandigarh.
- By air: Shimla Airport or Jubbarhatti Airport is the closest airport at 20 km from the main Shimla town.
Opting for the best staycation in Shimla
If you want to experience a comfy stay with your family member or partner, look no further than jüSTa Cliffend Resort & Spa. This luxury resort in Mashobra is best in its luxury facilities, ranging from spacious 28 rooms to other miscellaneous amenities, including an infinity outdoor heated pool from which you can have a breathtaking Himalayas. Mashobra is a small hill town located nearer to Shimla. Hence, by booking this resort, you get access to explore the top sites in the capital hill city of Himachal.
Witnessing the ongoing wedding season in December, many couples would find it interesting to search for the best wedding venues in Shimla. To fulfil this desire, the resort has a CEDAR ROOM, spread at 2500 sq. ft. This banquet hall has multiple seating arrangements to accommodate maximum guests & a lawn area with more expansive space at 3200 sq. ft. The exceptional catering service & decorations here will make your special event memorable for your guests, & relatives.
You can start your day touring with breakfast at the resort’s in-house multi-cuisine restaurant, Sabor. Here freshly prepared meals are served to guests who can also enjoy a fantastic sunrise view. It is the best restaurant in Mashobra, Shimla, to feast on local Himachali cuisines and other cuisine options, including Continental, International, & typical Indian. After meals, if you wish to enjoy a freshly brewed coffee, you are most welcome to Kaafal Cafe, where you can enjoy sipping various drinks with snacks.
Frequently Asked Questions About Shimla Travel Guide
Q. Why is Shimla a popular holiday destination in Himachal?
A. Shimla is a famous hill capital of Himachal Pradesh. It attracts tourists for its pleasant weather, snow-clad mountains, lush greenery, and various adventure activities like ice skating, paragliding, trekking, skiing, & mountain biking.
Q. What are the top attractions to see in Shimla?
A. The top attractions in Shimla include Mall Road, Kalka-Shimla toy train, Jakhoo Temple, The Ridge, Scandal Point, Kali Bari Temple, Lakkar Bazaar, & more.
Q. Which is the best time to visit Shimla?
A. You can visit Shimla in the summer from May to June. In winter, the ideal time to visit this hill station is from December to January.
Q. What are the famous foods in Shimla?
A. The famous local delicacies in Shimla include Thukpa, Chha Gosht, Siddu, Chicken Anardana, Madra, Dhaam, & Babru.
Q. Are there any nearby hill stations in Shimla?
A. There are nearby hill stations in Shimla, including Mashobra, Narkanda, Fagu, Chail, Naldehra, Kanatal, Cheong, Theog, Shoja, Sirmaur, Tirthan Valley, etc.
Q. What are the top adventure activities to do in Shimla?
A. The top adventure sports in Shimla include ice skating, skiing, river rafting, trekking, paragliding, mountain biking, fishing, & rock climbing.
Q. Which is the best time to visit Shimla for a honeymoon?
A. Shimla is an ideal romantic place for honeymoon couples who must visit here from December to January to witness fascinating snowfall.
Q. Are there any luxury hotels & resorts in Shimla?
A. jüSTa Cliffend Resort & Spa in Mashobra is one of the best staycations to enjoy your journey in Shimla. This luxury resort is equipped with all world-class amenities.